Thursday, April 11, 2013

Silly Blogging Requirements...NOT my idea!

This is just a reminder to everyone who (does not) read my blogs--I would not be writing them if it were not for a grade in an AP Language and Composition class. These blog posts are required and I personally hate writing them. Why should everyone else in the world care what I think or have to say?

I am a private person. I enjoy my privacy. I do not enjoy sharing all of my thoughts and feelings with everyone else in the world/for all to see. There is a reason that I do not have a Twitter account. There is a reason why I do not post status on Facebook.

I am only writing these blogs because they are required for class in school. Each week we are required to post three blog posts, accumulating a total of 1200 words. It really seems like a silly requirement to me. I think it would be more reasonable if you just plain had to have 1200 words. But the fact that we have to have three posts is a different story. What happens when you write one blog that already adds up to 1200 words? Or two of posts combined equal 1200 words? Then you are writing a low-quality post just for the sake of having a third post.

Whatever happened to quality vs. quantity? If these blog posts are supposed to represent our writing skills as AP students, why require multiple posts each week if they will not be quality? And you may argue then, "Well why don't you put effort into all three of them and make sure all of them are high quality and well-written?". The answer is simple. We only have so many things on our mind that we feel are important enough to write about. We should not write about meaningless things just for the sake of words. Instead, we should put forth our very best effort into one or two masterpieces.

Think about it this way. Are famous bloggers required to post a certain number of blog posts each week, and a certain number of words? No. I don't think so.

Real bloggers write only when they feel like it. Only when they have something great to talk about. And they are famous! Some of the best blogs are the ones that are short and sweet; straight to the point. No nonsense.

It is silly for AP students to use filler words and make their blogs as wordy as possible, just in order to fulfill a requirement of 1200 words per week. In fact, I am on a rant and I am guilty of it myself--right now, in this very moment, in this very blog post.

I think it is more important to think about quality vs. quantity when it comes to many things, but especially in blogging for an AP Language and Composition class. It is silly to have a required number of posts and word count each week. It is also unfair to make students write things that the whole public can see, and future employers will someday see. Something that will be on the internet forever, for all the world to see.

I honestly would much rather be writing papers each week...I think.

(Word Count: 623)

P.S. If you look above and see that I posted my word count in parenthisis, there it is. It is required. And I still have to write two more blogs, whether I want to or not. Whether I have anything to say or not. Even if this blog totaled up to enough words. Oh well. Looks like I will be up late again Sunday night, blogging until I barely reach 1200 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment