Sunday, April 7, 2013

School Vocabulary Always Comes Back to Haunt You

Remember when you had to do those red Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop books in middle school and high school? It seems as though everyone despised them. Every week we would have to complete a unit that consisted of multiple pages of filling in the blank (completing the sentence), synonyms, antonyms, choosing the right word, and that one at the end that was similar to reading comprehension. Rarely did people take this task seriously. Perhaps this is why these words are coming back to haunt us.

Last night I was thinking about how I would be taking the Iowa Assessments in vocabulary, and I though it would be a good idea to review some vocabulary words since I had saved all my red Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop books from years past. I had the hardest time trying to find them, since my mom had gone through and organized all my old school papers, books, etc. I finally found it on a bookshelf later that evening.

Before testing, I glanced through some of the words in the book so that I could refresh my memory in case any of the same words word be used on the Iowa Tests. Sure enough, quite a few of them were. I guess this goes to show how important learning and studying those vocabulary words are. They will always come back to haunt you.

I sure am glad I took vocabulary seriously and that I saved all my old vocab books from previous years.It really did come in handy.

(Word Count: 259)

No comments:

Post a Comment