Thursday, April 18, 2013

For Your Eyes Only


For Your Eyes Only
Keep me from sharing your letters to me,
Words you wrote just for me
Not for anyone else to see.
Write something lame. Say something dull, dumb, or mundane.
Be trite, and I might resist
The urge to splurge with your verbal gifts.
Send me your letters, still,
But make them boring, if you will.
I cannot help myself, otherwise,
From treating your letters like a prize.
I never thought you’d mind at all
If I shared your words on my Facebook wall.
I only wanted the world to see
the wonderful things you write to me.
You don’t just say “I walked the dog;” you tell me first about the fog,
The shine of rain-wet city streets,
The funny people that you meet.
Were those words so very private?
Speak to me, still, of chores and weather,
And I’ll try to be better at hiding each letter
Like pearls in a treasure chest.




3 comments:

  1. Kudos for the nice Ryhme Scheme.
    I also really like the line "Were those words so very private?", it really has a nice feel to it and the way the flow pauses in my head after that line has a wonderful affect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like lines 9 and 10. The way they rhyme and how this is when the reader understands the title and purpose of the poem. You can't help but eagerly read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really like this poem! It's clever and such a unique way to compliment the writer of these letters. The rhyme scheme is great and doesn't feel forced or unnatural, which is sometimes hard to achieve with couplets. I hope you submitted this to the PBW! Or maybe there will be another contest or publication would be interested? Also, consider wtiting/submitting something for Poet Laureate next year?

    ReplyDelete