Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Emerald Green: New Color for 2013


So, apparently emerald green is the new color for interior design. It was named color of the year for 2013 for its “energizing, exciting, [and] enticing” effect.

But emerald green walls? Really?

Apparently so, according to an article in the Cedar Rapids Gazette, saying it made a home look regal, warm, rich, etc. In my opinion, it makes it look like you are trying too hard to make your house look expensive and it probably wouldn't match the style of your home.

Although I’m okay with the idea of emerald green accents, I am opposed to the idea of emerald green walls in my home.

Here are some pictures where I think emerald green accents look nice:
Emerald green works in this room because, for the most part, everything about this room is very neutral, but the green in the pillows brings just the right amount of color to the room—nothing is at all overdone.

  
The emerald green of this sofa works in this room because the rest of the room looks very European, with the ivory walls and dark woodwork, the archways, the Persian rug, the ottoman, and the style of the furniture in general. I also like the yellow curtains on the window in combination with the emerald green of the sofa.  This goes to show that this shade of green looks better in small amounts or as accents to add color to the room, as opposed to having the entire wall painted in this color. Well done!

Same with the chair. You can still add color to a neutral room by adding colorful accents, such as the emerald green chair shown above. That way, you still have the color you want without it being "too much". 


To show you what I mean about entire rooms being painted in the color, I have put together some photos of emerald green gone wrong:

 
 
Who would do this to their home?! And I will point out that the majority of these photos were found on design websites saying this was the next big thing and implying that this color looks good!


Below are some photos I found where I am pleasantly surprised to see that emerald green walls can actually look pretty neat sometimes; that is, if they are done in the right style of home and they are the right shade. I still don’t think emerald green walls are right for every home. That I am sure of. And most of the photos I've seen are not done well.

 
  
Even then, I would stick to just using this green as accents such as pillows, throws, rugs, etc. I think it is extremely difficult to find the right shade and to make it work in the average home. Plus, it could be easy to get sick of it very quickly.

(478 words)


No comments:

Post a Comment